Sacred Heart Catholic Church
205 Logan St
Ledyard, IA 50556
Part of the Divine Mercy Catholic Parish
Divine Mercy Catholic Parish was formed on 7 July 2021, from the seven parishes that were part of the Blessed Trinity and Five Saints Catholic Communities in Kossuth County and West Bend with Father Steven J. McLoud appointed by Bishop R. Walker Nickless as its first Pastor. Membership in the new parish is comprised of 2191 families with 5122 souls.
Sacred Heart Church is located at 205 Logan Street in Ledyard, Iowa in the Northeast part of Kossuth County. For 125 years, Sacred Heart Parish has remained a vital part of the Sioux City Diocese. In 1890, the first Mass was celebrated in Ledyard on a regular basis in the Underkofler home. In the year of 1905, an old church in Estherville, Iowa was sought for Ledyard. In 1921 the automobile changed Sunday services for the Ledyard church. The pastor of Armstrong now would be able to celebrate Mass at Sacred Heart every Sunday as well as holy days of obligation. In 1924 the wooded church caught fire and burned to the ground. Until a new church could be constructed, church services were held in the fourth-grade classroom at the Ledyard public school. The cornerstone for the church proper was laid on March 30, 1930. On September 9, 1930, the Most Reverend Bishop Heelan came to dedicate the new church building. 1958 the new stained glass windows were added, and the church interior was redecorated. 1966 a new marble altar was donated.
In June of 2021, the church celebrated its 125th centennial. Beginning July 7, 2021, Sacred Heart along with seven different churches began the newly formed parish of Divine Mercy Catholic Parish.
Religious Education: 7 p.m. Wednesdays
Divine Mercy Cluster
Divine Mercy Catholic Parish
715 E. North Street, P. O. Box 633
Algona, IA 50511